Thursday, January 7, 2010

I am dehydrating my home grown tomatoes - can I rehydrate them later with olive oil instead of boiling water?

I know I have seen them grocery stores packed in olive oil, but I would want to store them dry until ready to use (space saving) - would it be better to rehydrate them in the water, THEN add them to the olive oil for the sauce? If I can rehydrate with olive oil, should the oil be warm and how long would it take?? Thanks.I am dehydrating my home grown tomatoes - can I rehydrate them later with olive oil instead of boiling water?
when ready to rehydrate, put them in warm water and nuke them for just a minute or two. then drain and dry between papertowels immediately, and they wont get soggy. Make sure you do this only right before you want to use them.I am dehydrating my home grown tomatoes - can I rehydrate them later with olive oil instead of boiling water?
It will take longer. And the hotter the oil the quicker they will rehydrate. Try to keep the oil temperature under 250 degrees so you won't cook your ';maters.';
You are going to have something like..if you have ever seen sun dried tomatoes packed in oil..its not going to be just like a regular tomato. I dont know that I would rehydrate with water because it seems they would just get soggy (after being dried) and fall apart. Eeeew.


Anyhow, No..you dont have to heat the oil. Olive oil works really well for this kind of thing. Just make sure if you want to use them that you pour the olive oil off, unless you want to add them into a really oily dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment