Thursday, January 7, 2010

Wat is best for cooking extra virgin olive oil or simple olive oil?

If you go to Spain or Italy etc (basically the countries where the Oil is predominant) they use the Extra Virgin only where they specifically want the taste of it... and this is normally when drizzling over the food just before eating or dipping etc. When cooking they just use Olive Oil.


Besides the fact that the extra virgin oil isn't great when cooking with heat, it is just considered a waste.Wat is best for cooking extra virgin olive oil or simple olive oil?
Simple olive oil - but if you are using a lot (for deep frying) mix it with some canola oil.Wat is best for cooking extra virgin olive oil or simple olive oil?
I'm italian and use extra vergine (too precious to heat it up) for cold things like salads, bruschette etc. and the ';normal'; one to cook. As simple as that...
I keep a nice (and expensive!) bottle of EVOO around for salads and drizzles, but when I cook with olive oil (and I do nearly all of my cooking with olive oil) I use just a good cold pressed olive oil that I buy 3 liters at a time rather than the expensive extra-virgin stuff. The taste is much more neutral than EVOO, so it blends well with the flavors of almost any cuisine.





Either way, the health benefits %26amp; anti-oxidant properties are about the same.
EVOO - Yummo!
Cook with olive oil and dress salads etc with extra virgin - too expensive to cook with extra virgin oil. This works out well for flavour too.
I like the extra because it is more flavourful as it comes from the first pressing of the olives.
Olive oil is ok for cooking you buy the more expensive extra virgin type to use in salad dressing recipes~~
I prefer to cook in a simple olive oil............because of its lower fat contents and besides I am used to its taste already..it is just a matter of habit really~~~although I beleive the simple olove oil is much ehalthier and less cholesterol too which can be bad for the heart..........anyway it depends upon your taste..but I am an olive oil girl..
Watch Rachel Ray, she will tell you EVOO. I use it for pretty much everything, it has a great taste.
extra is tastier for you (a bit), but simple is healthier for you (a bit).





both burn more quickly than a butter or margarine or some other oils. Most people use too high a heat on the olive oils when they cook, and this makes it so that you don't get the flavor from it, and it really doesn't matter which type you used.
simple olive oil has a higher 'smoke point', making it better for cooking.

No comments:

Post a Comment