Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Salad dressing, is it as a rule 1 tablespoon of Balsamic to 3 of Xtra Virgin Olive oil?

Plus fresh ground black pepper etc?Salad dressing, is it as a rule 1 tablespoon of Balsamic to 3 of Xtra Virgin Olive oil?
What i do is add 2 parts olive oil to a measuring cup and 1 part balsamic vinegar. if you want you can add dijon mustard for flavor (sometimes i do that) and then add some salad herbs for extra yummy taste. then stirr it or whatever with a whisk. yes you can also add pepper if you wnat but not too much or it will drown out the tatse of the other ingredients. thats how my mom taught me to do it :) hope it helped :DSalad dressing, is it as a rule 1 tablespoon of Balsamic to 3 of Xtra Virgin Olive oil?
Huummm... I hate to add another variation, but generally speaking I keep to the ';rule'; of one part vinegar to two/three parts oil. That is cider or wine vinegar. If it needs to be ';tart'; more vinegar or lemon juice is added. A little milder and I add a pinch or two of sugar. The more oil I add, the thicker the dressing, because I always make it in a jam jar and give it a really good shake which emulsifies the dressing well. This way, I can make enough for a couple of days at a time and keep it in the fridge. Remember to take it out so it can reach room temperature for tossing the salad though.





BTW I personally avoid balsamic vinegar unless it is certified as genuine Italian balsamico, because I was told that there can be a lot of ';nasties'; in anything else... No, you don`t want to know, especially if you have nothing else to hand! LOL!
I think that is a bit too much Balsamic, it can be quite a powerful flavour. Also, if you use sesame oil, use just a few drops, that is a great flavour but also very strong.





whatever you make, the rule is to taste it while you are making it. Natural ingredients do vary, one week you might need more salt, another week less.
I made salad dressing a few days ago and it said on the bottle of vinegar to use 2 parts vinegar to one part oil, but I found it needed a little more oil. I was using white wine vinegar though, not balsamic, so that might make a difference. Then a little salt, ground black pepper, and a pinch of herbs if you like.
Rules are meant to be broken.





* 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar


* 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice


* 1tablespoon Dijon mustard


* 2 garlic cloves, minced


* 1/2 cup olive oil





Whisk the first 4 ingredients together, and then continue whisking while you gradually drizzle in the olive oil.
I use about half and half - in a jamjar - shake then pour.





If you're mixing your own - try it with toasted sesame oil and balsamic - 1/2 %26amp; 1/2 or with olive oil.
  • codes for myspace
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment