Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Buying Extra Virgin Olive Oil?

So any tips for buying EVOO or some recommended brands?


How much should I expect to spend on a moderate quality EVOO?Buying Extra Virgin Olive Oil?
Moderate for a good one, about $20.00 a liter.


Frantoia with the bubble top bottle from Sicily is the best bang for the buck but thats about $25 a liter.


( make sure the producer is Manfredi Barbera and it is bottle in Palermo ( Sciacca Castelvetrano) the main olive used is the Biancalilla which gives this oil a grassy taste with a smooth almond finish( yes I know it well because I introduced it to the USA and such chefs as Molto Mario use it on their show).


The cream of the crop is Fernando Pensato but its quite expensive at $20 a 1/4 liter.


That just won the ';Sofi'; award in the USA.





I wish I knew where you were located to give you a better answer.


For one thing never judge an oil by its color.People think the greener the better and thats not so.





I'd say go for the Frantoia even if you have to spend a few extra bucks.


Where do you live?





Stay away from the Luccan brands such as Berio and Bertolli.


Also Luccini and Goya( not to good).





I was looking at my oil selection and found a very good one for about 13-$15 a liter.


IlLiada


It's a nice Greek oil, made from Kalamata olives.


I've used it before.


Excellent for the money.


Easily available.

No comments:

Post a Comment