Tuesday, December 22, 2009

What's the reason/need for refrigerating olive oil, and how does one liquify it after it has solidified?

Ever since hearing that olive oil should be refrigerated, I have been driven batty by the need to liquify the whole bottle each time I need a teaspoonful full of the solidified mass! Does anyone have a more practical way of handling this%26gt;





Additionally, in spite of hearing over and over again that olive oil needs to be refrigerated once opened, I wonder about the truth of that advice. I buy several different brands of high quality extra virgin olive oil and not one of them has any statement about the need to refrigerate.What's the reason/need for refrigerating olive oil, and how does one liquify it after it has solidified?
I have NEVER refrigerated olive oil, and I'm not going to start doing it now! As long as it's stored in a dark, cool place, it's fine (pantry, cupboard)What's the reason/need for refrigerating olive oil, and how does one liquify it after it has solidified?
Because it goes rancid if you don't use huge quantities of it.





I put my cold bottle into a bowl of warm water (not hot).





I don't use a lot of olive oil, so mine tends to go rancid if I don't refrigerate it. If you go through an 8oz bottle within 3 months, then you don't have to chill it.
olive oil does not need to be refrigerated!!!!!!!!!!!!!! unless it takes you a couple months to through a bottle. the reason for refrigerating oils is to lengthen their shelf life. but most fats including oils have a shelf life, even after opening, of at least a month or two. sesame oil is one exception.

No comments:

Post a Comment