Wednesday, December 16, 2009

I'm making Hush Puppies for a party, is it ok to cook them in olive oil?

It should be fine. Just make sure it's not extra virgin though - it might burn.





EDIT:





I made hush puppies with olive oil once (virgin, not extra virgin olive oil), as I had run out of canola oil. They turned out fine.I'm making Hush Puppies for a party, is it ok to cook them in olive oil?
I probably would not do it. The olive oil has a fairly low smoke point and you may end up with a burnt taste to your fried foods. Also the olive oil may transmit a olive or fruity flavor to the foods. Use regular vegetable oil, corn, canola, or peanut oil.I'm making Hush Puppies for a party, is it ok to cook them in olive oil?
I'm from the south, hush puppies are never cooked in olive oil, use a good vegetable oil, canola is ok too


*olive oil will be absorbed and change the taste of you southern dish and not in a good way, I love olive oil for a lot of things but this is not one of them
No way. Olive oil is not good for deep frying. It is more for flavoring, or sauteing.

No comments:

Post a Comment