Friday, December 18, 2009

I've heard if you keep garlic in olive oil it will make you sick?

Is this true??? I've heard if you keep garlic in olive oil it will make you sick?
I have been marinating all sorts of olives, American, Italian, Greek and Spanish with olive oil and garlic cloves for years and I'm 49 and still alive. I've heard if you keep garlic in olive oil it will make you sick?
It is true that making garlic flavored olive oil at home is risky. There is a certain bacteria or something that can possibly be in the garlic, and I think that the process of making flavored oil doesn't cook the garlic at a high enough temperature to destroy it. Commercial processes are safe though, they found a way around it. Same for raw eggs; it's safe to eat the store-bought raw cookie dough because those raw eggs are pasteurized, but it's not safe to eat your homemade raw dough. Alton Brown explained the whole thing on one of his episodes. Note: it's not a guarantee that you'll get food poisoning if you make it at home, there is just a marked risk of this happening. Like with eggs, just because you eat a raw egg doesn't mean you'll automatically get salmonella. Only if the egg you eat has salmonella in it will it be a problem.
no its not true, many restaurants cook with garlic and olive oil if you go to a store and by minced garlic its sometimes preserved in olive oil. then you have your flavored oils. etc...i mince garlic and preserve it in olive oil for future use..i even add a few of my fave seasonings to it...
Chopped and minced garlic are sold packed in olive oil all the time. If it make people sick, those retailers would have been driven out of business long ago.





It's all I buy, now. No more mincing it myself, woo-hoo!
burning garlic is a way too common occurence in the kitchen and does not make you sick. The garlic does not taste very pleasant though.
i don't know if it's true or not but my mom told me the exact same thing!
No

No comments:

Post a Comment